JOY & WONDER SERIES: Rainy Day Activities
Welcome to our Joy and Wonder Series, eight weekly blog posts and giveaways from our Livie & Luca and Mosey Handmade collaboration. If you haven’t yet heard about Mosey Handmade pop up shop for Livie & Luca, check it out here!
In this series we’ll be touching on creative and authentic ways to connect and play with your child and also giving away items that relate to those experiences.
For the giveaway, each week we’ll ask you to post a photo on Instagram that relates to the post and the winner will receive something from one of our wonderful partners.
Rainy Day Activities
Early Spring brings those days when it’s just too wet and cold to venture out with the kiddos. So how do we fill this indoor time so it’s meaningful and enriching for both parent and child?
L&L Owner, Mitzi, has fond memories of her mother pulling out the flour and water and making playdough on rainy days. In deep Maine winters, Mosey’s founder, Jes, and her daughter would make glitter and cinnamon play dough for a multi-sensory experience! Dipping little hands in flour, adding ingredients like a potion, kneading and forming are wonderful and peaceful ways to spend a cozy winter morning with your child.
For Jes’s play dough you will need:
- 2 cups plain flour (all purpose)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
- Up to 1.5 cups boiling water (adding little bits at a time until dough feels right)
- food coloring and glitter (we use Martha Stewart Fine Glitter)
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- Mix the flour, salt, cinnamon, cream of tartar and oil in a large mixing bowl
- Add the boiling water
- Stir continuously until it becomes a sticky like bread dough
- Add the food coloring
- Allow it to cool down then take out of the bowl
- Knead vigorously for a few minutes until all of the stickiness has gone //add a touch more flour until it feels not sticky!
- add a few sprinkles of glitter and roll again and again until glitter shows
(If your little one likes to put stuff in his or her mouth, you can leave out the sparkly stuff!)
Another wonderful way to entertain and engage your littles indoors is with Sparkle Stories.
Sparkle Stories produces original, simple, yet highly-engaging audio stories for children, enjoyed by families around the world. Sparkle offers over 1000 stories - along with hundreds of recipes, crafts and parenting tutorials.
This week in the Joy and Wonder series, we’ve teamed up with Sparkle Stories for an exciting giveaway!
One winner will receive a pair of L&L shoes of choice, a Mosey Handmade for Livie & Luca crown, and a 3-month subscription to Sparkle Stories!
To enter, head over to Instagram and share photos of your favorite rainy day activities to do with children!
- Follow @livieandluca, @moseyhandmade and @sparklestories
- Post a photo of your favorite rainy day activities, using #LLandMO
- Mention each account in your post
- Share with your friends!
- Enter by 3/11/17. Winner announced on Instagram on 3/12/17
Leave a comment